Reacquiring your original (Iranian) Nationality
According to Article 987 of the Civil Code of the Islamic Republic of Iran:
An Iranian woman marrying a foreign national will retain her Iranian
Nationality unless according to the law of the country of the husband the latters
Nationality is imposed by marriage upon the wife. But in any case, after the death of the
Husband or after divorce or separation, she will re - acquire her original nationality
Together with all rights and privileges appertaining to it by the mere submission of an
Application to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, to which should be annexed a certificate
of the death of her husband or the document establishing the separation.
- An application form for returning to your Original Nationality, filled out and undersigned by the applicant.
- Original copy and two photocopies of marriage documents.
- Original copy and two photocopies of divorce papers, or official death certificate of her husband.
- Photocopy of applicants Iranian Birth Certificate (Shenasname) which she held prior to marriage, including a carefully written declaration of the full personal details of the applicant.
- 12 recently taken 6x4cm ID photos of the applicant (with full hijab).
- Bank receipt indicating the transfer of the required fees for the validation and approval of the individuals application form for returning to Iranian Nationality(in local currency)
** Click here to download the relevant application form
Obtaining your Iranian Nationality
According to Article 979 of the Civil Code of the Islamic Republic of Iran:
"Individuals can obtain Iranian nationality if they:
1 - Have reached the full age of 18.
2- Have resided five years, whether continuously or intermittently, in Iran.
3 - Are not Draft Dodgers (Deserters of military service)
4 - Have not in any country been convicted of non - political major misdemeanours or felonies.
In the case of Clause 2 of this Article, the period of residence in foreign countries in the
Service of the Iranian Government will be considered as residence in Iran. "
- An application form for obtaining an Iranian Nationality filled out and undersigned by the applicant.
- Original copy and photocopy of the applicants most recent academic diploma(s)/documents.
- Original copy and 2 photocopies of Identification and Citizenship papers and documents of applicant and his/her spouses.
- 3 6x4cm ID photos of the applicant (along with negatives) taken within the past six month, (Including a full face, front view, white background, open eyes, without a hat, glasses or neck scarves, with the exception of headscarves(hijab for women)). [The individuals personal details must be inscribed on the back of every piece of photo]
- 6 6x9cm group photos of spouse and /or children(under 18, given that they are of foreign nationality)
- Original copy and 2 photocopies of marriage documents.
** Click here to download the application form for Obtaining an Iranian Nationality
Renouncing your Iranian Nationality
According to Article 988 of the Civil Code of the IslamicRepublic of Iran:
"Iranian nationals cannot abandon their nationality except on the following conditions:
1 - That they have reached the full age of 25.
2 - That the Council of Ministers has allowed the renunciation of their Iranian nationality.
3 - That they have previously undertaken to transfer within one year from the date of the renunciation of Iranian nationality, by some means, the rights that they possess or may acquire by inheritance, on landed properties in Iran, to Iranian Nationals (Even if Iranian laws may have allowed the possession of the same properties by foreign nationals).The wife and children of the person who renounces his/her nationality, according to this Article do not lose their Iranian nationality, whether the children are minors or adults, unless the permission of the Council of Ministers allows them to renounce their nationality.
4 - That they have completed their national military service.
Note A -Those who may venture to apply for the renunciation of their Iranian nationality
according to this Article in favour of a foreign nationality must, besides carrying out the
stipulations of Clause 3 of this Article, leave Iran within three months. If they fail to do
so ,the proper authorities will issue Deportation Orders for their expulsion and the sale of
their properties. The above-mentioned prescribed period of grace may be extended
subject to the approval of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs up to a maximum period of one
Note B - The Council of Minister may, in the course of approving the renunciation of
nationality by an unmarried Iranian woman, also approve of the renunciation of the
nationality of her children, provided that they are without their father or paternal grandfather
and are less than 18 years of age, or otherwise lack legal capacity. Also her children of
less than 25 years of age can renounce their nationality in conformity with their mothers
request for renunciation of nationality. "
- 3 copies of application form for Renunciation of Nationality, filled out and undersigned by the applicant.
- (If applicable) 3 copies of application treated as stated above, by the applicants spouse.
- An undersigned and filled out copy of tax, customs, and banking letter of recognizance.
- Another copy of the above document, undersigned by the applicants spouse.
- A filled-out and undersigned copy of the questionnaire for Nationality Renunciation applicants.
- Another copy of above stated document undersigned by applicants spouse.
- 156x4cm ID photos (along with negatives) taken within the past six month, (Including a full face, front view, white background, open eyes, without a hat, glasses or neck scarves, with the exception of headscarves(hijab for women)). [The individuals personal details must be inscribed on the back of every piece of photo]
- 8 6x4cmprofileID photos.(Along with the negatives, and with identical conditions as stated above )
- 15 6x9cm group photos of applicant with his spouse and children who intend to renounce their nationality. (Including the negatives)
- Original Iranian Birth Certificate (Shenasname) of applicant, and spouse and/or children (under 25), and a set of 7 photocopies all the filled out pages within the document.
- Original copy and 2 photocopies of the certificate of Termination or Exemption of Conscription to Military Service.
- The applicant and his/her spouses Iranian passport along with 2 photocopies of each filled out page within the travel document.
- 2 copies the finger prints of applicant and his/her spouse and that of their children(above 15 years of age)
- A State Letter of acceptance and approval from the host country whose nationality the applicant wishes to acquire, and a photocopy of this document.
- Bank receipt indicating the transfer of the required fees for the validation and approval of 3copies of the individuals application forms, and 3 copies of those of his/her spouse.(In local currency)
- A second bank receipt for the transfer of validation fees for the applicant and his/her spouses recognizance letters.
*Click here to download the application form for Renunciation of Iranian Nationality
*Click here to download the Recognizance Letter form
*Click here to download the Questionnaire for Renunciation of Iranian Nationality